Sunday, August 28, 2016

Sunday, 28 August 2016

I tried a new variety of cherry tomatoes this year.  It's called the Pink Bumble Bee and overall, I liked them and will grow them again.  They are bigger than regular cherry tomatoes, but they are unique with yellow stripes.  I also tried Mexican Midget since this variety failed last year.  I don't think I will grow those again.  Even though they produced well, they are so tiny...I mean tiny...that I felt I'd spent 10  minutes picking them and hardly  had enough for a salad.  There are other varieties that also produce well and are more substantial.  My favorites are the orange cherry tomatoes because they are so sweet, but I like to grow a variety for salads because I like the look of the different varieties when I throw them all together.  So this year, I grew:

Sun Sugar
Sweet Gold
Sweet 100's
Sweet Million
Sugary 
Yellow pair

and I pretty much grow these every year, but now I'm adding the Pink Bumble Bee to that list.

Some of the new varieties of regular tomatoes that I tried this year, didn't make it.  There were too many variables going on that didn't provide a safe transition to the garden.  Part of that was my effort in trying to move (which we ended up not doing in the long run).  So they all went into the garden late but before that, in the process of showing my house, I kicked all my plants out to the deck and many didn't survive the wind, my dog, and neglect.  Sometimes, plants are so finicky.  

Two new things, I am trying this fall is one, a worm farm, and two, I'm making a tumble type compost bin.  My garden needs nutrients. I didn't do anything this year to amend the soil before planting and it has showed in plant production.  I will post pictures of these things and hopefully my soil will benefit from these two endeavors and share that with next year's crop.


No comments:

Post a Comment