Sunday, February 1, 2015

Sunday, 1 February 2015

Here are some other vegetable varieties  I've grown for years and will grow this year as well, to test production:


CUCMBERS:  Sweeter Yet, Sweet Slice, Sweet Success.  I love these three because I have yet to taste a bitter one.  I have grown other cucumbers, that were more prolific than these particular favorites of mine, but many were horribly inedible because of the bitterness that sets in.  I also have a novelty cucumber called Mexican Sour Gherkin I purchased last year that I will try this year.

PEPPERS (hot/mild):  Holy Mole Hybrid, Cayenne Large Red, Cayenne Long Thin, Ancho San Luis, Anaheim Chili, Guajillo, Pasilla Bajio, Garden Salsa, Mucho Nacho Hybrid.  Garden Salsa is an extremely prolific little plant.  I don’t need to grow more than 2.  The peppers just keep on coming with these little plants.  Sometimes the 'hotness' varies on these.

PEPPERS (sweet):  Red Knight X3R is my absolute favorite, King Arthur is a close second. I still have seeds from other varieties I have tried in the past, but I wasn't impressed with.

SUMMER SQUASH:  Barq is a favorite of mine.  It is a beautiful lime green.  I also grow Magda. Now I will say:  my family will NOT eat this unless I disguise it, usually in the form of overly sweet zucchini bread.  I don't grow a lot.  I use what I can, and I give away the rest.

TOMATILLO:  Tamayo R Hybrid

TOMATOES (cherry):  Sweet Gold FT Hybrid, Yellow Pear, Super Sweet 100, Sugary, Sweet Million Hybrid FT.  I also have Mexico Midget seeds I purchased previously that I will try.

TOMATOES(indeterminate):  Park’s Beefy Boy Hybrid, Big Zac Hybrid, Burpee Porterhouse Hybrid, Mexico, Delicious, Better Boy, Big Beef Hybrid, Lemon Boy, Celebrity, New Girl, Park’s Whopper CR Imp. Hybrid, Jetsetter,  Early Girl, Goliath, Burpee’s Supersteak Hybrid.

TOMATOES (paste):  Yaqui Hybrid, Howard German, Mama Leone, Heinz 1370.
Okay, technically Heinz 1370 is NOT a paste tomato.  However,  I do grow them with my paste tomatoes as they are determinate so they share the same short cages as my romas.  Plus their fruit size is relatively small, but the taste is amazing.  So, they often are thrown in with sauces and salsas.    Also, Yaqui is my absolute-hands-down favorite when it comes to roma plants.  I have never seen a plant more productive than this one.  I have grown Mama Leone (still have seeds) and Howard German (still have seeds), but none of them were even close to the prolific little Yaqui.  I may grow one or two of the Mama Leone and the Howard German this year just for comparison’s sake, but maybe not.  I haven’t decided yet.  I will see how much room I have once I’ve started the seeds.  I’d rather dedicate extra space to the new varieties I bought than to spend time and effort on something I wasn’t blown away by.

No comments:

Post a Comment